Monday 29 October 2007

John Howard, the I-never-said-it-I-didn't-promise-it-wasn't-me Prime Minister

During the first three weeks of this election campaign John Howard has clearly demonstrated that he finds it impossible to own up to past mistakes and take responsibility for the results of his own actions.
 
This reached the far heights of absurdity when he repeatedly sought to rewrite the history of his interest rates promise at the 2004 election and when he attempted a clumsy duck 'n' weave over that Kyoto question.
 
Howard's non-core promises have become a bitter joke for many Australians. His former election policy platforms are littered with broken promises.
 
So perhaps it is time to recall his victory speeches from past years to decide if he lived up to the words and spirit of his expressed sentiments.
 
Here's a sample from the 9 October 2004 election victory speech:
"To be the prime minister of Australia is undoubtedly the greatest privilege that can come the way of any person. I will never forget, I will never loss contact with, I'll never misunderstand the nature of the honour and the privilege that's been given to me."
 
To judge for yourself trawl through other campaign transcripts at:

No comments: