Sunday 1 November 2009

Oh for goodness sake - leave me with something!


I'm doing my best to reduce my consumption level and live within a smaller environmental footprint in response to the threat of global warming - like a lot of other Australians I suppose.
I re-use where possible, limit the amount of household waste I produce, purchase second-hand goods in preference to new, shop locally, buy Australian almost exclusively when it comes to groceries, avoid buying food with ingredients which were produced by denuding rainforest, limit my meat eating to flesh that is less carbon intensive, walk everywhere I can or get public transport, don't load my garden with chemicals and I'm getting quite miserly when it comes to electricity and water.
So why do I feel like too much is being asked of me?
Because Larvatus Prodeo has opened my eyes to the fact that someone somewhere has written a book called "Time to Eat the Dog? the real guide to sustainable living" and those authors obviously want me to feel guilty about having a pet.
What next will I have to offer up on the altar of climate change - the heart of my first born?

Katz
Grafton

Guest Speak is a North Coast Voices segment allowing serious or satirical comment from NSW Northern Rivers residents. Email ncvguestpeak at live dot com dot au to submit comment for consideration.

No comments: