Saturday 4 December 2010

K-K-Keneally hits back at jibe about her alien birth

So.... it's not just the front bar at my local.

NSW Parliament Hansard 2nd November 2010:

GOVERNMENT PERFORMANCE


Mr ANDREW STONER: My question is directed to the Premier. After 15 years of Labor and a year of her Premiership, in which she has spent attacking the New South Wales Liberals-Nationals in the absence of any substantial policies, will she finally spell out her plans to fix the State, or is she still in denial about the problems?

The SPEAKER: Order! The House will come to order.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: I will answer that question but, as members know, in recent days I have spent a lot of time at my desk reading. I have an advanced copy—

Mr Barry O'Farrell: Point of order: I refer to Standing Order 129, relevance. In the spirit of the season, I have a book for the Premier with a few facts about Australia. It is the Little Aussie Fact Book; it has everything the Premier needs to know about Australia!

The SPEAKER: Order! Members will cease clapping. Members will come to order. I call the member for Lismore to order. I call the member for Wakehurst to order.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: What a remarkable contribution by the Leader of the Opposition!

[Interruption]

Hear me out, because I am about to pay the member for Murrumbidgee a compliment. A few years ago the member for Murrumbidgee made a private member's statement about how people should value the contribution of those who have immigrated to this country.

The SPEAKER: Order! I call the member for Epping to order.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: In a private member's statement in this House the member for Murrumbidgee talked about valuing the contribution of people, regardless of what country they come from or with which accent they speak. I acknowledge him and his leadership in doing so. Often on weekends I attend functions with the Leader of the Opposition. Every time he stands in front of a multicultural community group he gives a speech about valuing the contribution of migrants to this country.

The SPEAKER: Order! I call the member for Hawkesbury to order.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: He attends functions, whether it is the Korean community fair, the Chinese New Year—

Mr Andrew Stoner: Point of order: I refer to Standing Order 129. I hate to interrupt the Premier's soliloquy, but this is a serious question to which the people of New South Wales deserve an answer.

The SPEAKER: Order! The Leader of The Nationals will resume his seat. The Premier has the call.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: The point of order of the Leader of the Opposition deserves to be acknowledged and addressed, because he attends a number of multicultural community functions.

Mr Andrew Stoner: Point of order—

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: Members opposite can try to use my time, but I will get this out.

The SPEAKER: Order! I have ruled on the point of order. Does the Leader of The Nationals wish to take a different point of order?

Mr Andrew Stoner: No, it is still relevance.

The SPEAKER: Order! The Leader of The Nationals will resume his seat. I call the Leader of The Nationals to order.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: I find it extraordinary. The Leader of the Opposition attends multicultural functions and makes speeches about valuing the contributions of migrants and the contribution they make to the people of Australia. However, when there is a cheap political point to be made in this Chamber he is willing to make it.

Mr Adrian Piccoli: Point of order: I refer to Standing Order 129, relevance. If the Premier uses a prop to make a smart alec point, then she is asking for it.

The SPEAKER: Order! The member for Murrumbidgee will resume his seat. The Premier has responded to the point of order taken by the Leader of the Opposition, but I remind her of the question before the House.

Ms KRISTINA KENEALLY: I will end on this point: Today we have seen a gross example of hypocrisy. The Leader of the Opposition stands condemned.

The SPEAKER: Order! I call the member for Epping to order for the second time. As today is the last question time of the year, I have extended a degree of latitude. However, members are pushing the envelope way too far. I will not tolerate further unparliamentary behaviour. Members who continue to interject will be removed from the Chamber.

No comments: