Monday 5 November 2012

Oz formula one driver Mark Webber's view on gambling


Mark Webber says he won't be tuning into Tuesday's big race. Not because he'll be racing around a track in his Red Bull, but because he hates Australia's gambling culture. ''I love sport but horse racing is not far off the bottom of my list,'' he said after Saturday's qualifier for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. ''Gambling, in my house, my father didn't tolerate it. Actually, I'm not a big fan of how much it's rammed down your throat in Australia, in terms of how you can bet on who farts at what stage in a football match.'' [Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 5/11/12]

Hey, Mark, you're spot-on about gambling in Australia - there's far too much of it AND there's too much promotion (especially online and television advertising) of it.

But, isn't formula one racing with its petrol guzzlers a hell of a waste of our scarce resources. As for formula one racing, this bloke wouldn't walk across the street to watch it, even if Mark gave away free tickets. So, there!

1 comment:

robbo said...

Actually, walking across the street while Mark was racing could be quite dangerous - I like the odds on that.