Tuesday 4 December 2012

Glenugie woman chains herself to work truck at CSG exploration drilling site in Clarence Valley


Deb Whitley of Glenugie 4 December 2012
CSG Free Northern Rivers Media Release 4th December 2012:
Brave Glenugie woman puts body on the line at Metgasco coal seam gas site
On the eve of Planning Minister Brad Hazzard’s visit to the Northern Rivers region, a brave and committed local woman has attached herself to a work truck at Metgasco’s coal seam gas site near Grafton. More than one hundred residents are on site with more flocking to the site all the time.
Deb Whitley of Glenugie says she has been forced to take this action because her land and home are under threat from coal seam gas mining.
“My home has always been the one constant in my life. It is my safety, my sanctuary - this industry threatens all of this,” said Deb.
The Grafton community, like the rest of the Northern Rivers region, is overwhelmingly opposed to coal seam gas and the threat it poses to community health, the environment and existing jobs.
“With my land I have choices to create an income and sustainable life for my future and now this is uncertain for me,” Deb said.
“The coal seam gas industry threatens our health and without good health we have nothing. I’ve always considered myself lucky but now I don’t know.”
“Minister Hazzard says he is coming to our region to answer our questions, well I have a question for him: Why is his government forcing rural communities like ours to take actions such as this to defend our communities from an unsustainable and unsafe industry?” said Lynette Eggins, of Clarence Valley Alliance Against CSG.
“The Minister needs to realise that this issue is not going to go away - our communities are strong and growing stronger, we will stand up to this government and their industry buddies for as long as it takes to stop their destructive plans for our region.”
 
UPDATE:
Deb's chains being cut


No comments: