Saturday 29 November 2014

Quote of the Week


Black people are constantly divided, chained to an ideology and sacrificed by others in the pursuit of their idea of the greater good. I’ve worked in the interface between black and white for long enough to be exploited most often as the proof of life.
I am in the ubiquitous photos of participants rounded up to pose and confirm the community engagement objective of a workshop was met. I am the counterweight that provides balanced reportage to a site, once I have been edited and strategically placed. I am the polarizing link that provides the dark to their light. I am what sustains their precedence over my self determination.
Is it any wonder that it is so difficult to find an Indigenous person willing to express an opinion?
[Siv Parker, On Dusk, 22 November 2014]

No comments: