What about when government outsourcing to the private sector means access to those government databases quietly collating personal and sensitive information on all individuals living in Australia?
Victorian Ombudsman, media release, 12 September 2016:
- agents unreasonably denied liability or terminated claims
- agents took such actions in order to obtain financial rewards available under the contract with Worksafe
- Worksafe provides effective oversight of the agents and their claims management processes.
- The Victorian workers compensation scheme is funded by a compulsory system of insurance that covers employers for the cost of providing compensation to injured workers.
- Worksafe manages around 90,000 workers compensation claims a year.
- The Victorian Ombudsman investigation conducted a detailed review of 65 complex workers compensation claims; most claims involved decisions made in 2014 – 2015.
- Insurers acting as Worksafe agents at the time of the investigation were: Allianz, CGU, Gallagher Basset, QBE and Xchanging. The Victorian Government decided in April 2016 not to renew QBE’s contract and QBE ceased acting as a Worksafe agent on June 30 2016. EML replaced QBE on the panel of agents. EML decisions and actions have not been examined during this investigation
A data breach in the making.......