Saturday 18 August 2012

NSW North Coast cyclists beware!

 

A heartfelt letter to the editor in The Daily Examiner 13 August 2012:

Cyclists beware

I AM writing to express my disgust and disappointment in the way certain drivers disregard cyclists' rights to share the road.

Once again this was vividly displayed last night. On my ride home I was riding past the new super clinic with the intention of turning right and onto the bridge. A vehicle approached from behind. I was in the middle of the left lane with no oncoming vehicles. I ride with a red reflector on the rear and a 900 lumens single-stream light on my handlebars, my backpack is covered in reflectors and I wear a bright orange crew vest. There is no way I can be missed at night.

As the vehicle approached I remained in the lane so there was no ambiguity as to my intentions. The vehicle passed so close that I could have reached out and touched it, then it moved immediately in front of me.

I just don't understand the arrogance of such drivers as it was clear they were sending a message as to their disapproval of my position on the road, with no oncoming vehicles and a lot of right lane room.

I was so livid I made chase, shouting at the driver who stopped soon after turning right. He wound down his window and as he did I asked why he was trying to run me over. He replied that I should be using the cycle way (which doesn't exist) and to get off the road. I answered that I have as much right to use the road as he.

It is time that all drivers with this mentality realise this is not an acceptable behaviour. Firstly they need to re-read the road rules with regards to cyclists: "A bicycle is considered a vehicle and subject to the same road rules as other vehicles".

Cyclists are treated with the same weight as drivers of vehicles so much so that cyclists are expected to obey all the same road rules and are in fact subject to them if broken. They are also subject to the same courtesy and respect shown to other vehicle users.

I am sick to death of this mentality, for the blatant disregard to another human life and the danger in which they place them; no thought for loved ones and the splintering effect of injuring or even taking their life.

I often hear that certain cyclist give other cyclists a bad name. This is not sour grapes and I recreationally ride mountain bikes in the bush and only share the road as a means to get to work. I am also a father of four and a husband and I will be dammed if I am going to let some moron take that away from them just because I choose to use a healthy approach to getting to and from work.

So to all fellow cyclists be aware that a Blue Toyota Hilux with Queensland plates needs to be avoided at all cost if you value your life. I am unable to gain any resolve through reporting the incident to the police unless I have been actually run over, and on account of the cowardly act of the driver just driving away I have no other recourse then to vent in letter form.

Name supplied  

 

No comments: