Friday 22 October 2010

Why Clarence Valley businesses are giving Telstra the flick

A Grafton business owner has provided ample evidence of why local businesses are leaving Telstra (which is closing its Grafton call centre) in droves.

Daily Examiner (22/10/2010)


I have a business in Grafton that I will soon be relocating to different premises, but still in Grafton.
Over the past week I have made three separate attempts to notify Telstra that we are moving and will need to have our services relocated.
I originally notified them and gave them the new address, which is a current business premises in Prince Street.
The person from the call centre (not in Grafton) said they could not verify the address in their system and said someone would call me back later that day.
No-one did.
I called again the next day, they still couldn't work out where the address was and assured me they would call me back.
Still no-one called back.
So on my third attempt and after 15 minutes of the usual recorded messages telling me how important my call was, I finally got through to a customer support person who was fantastic.
She was from the call centre in Grafton.
Her name was Cheryl.
In no time at all she had verified the address, booked the relocation of the service, and gave extra useful advice.
What a pity Telstra is going to lose helpful staff like Cheryl and we will all be forced to tolerate the generic incompetence that is so often the benchmark of large call centres either in southern cities or offshore, where staff appear to have scant knowledge of regional issues (such as reality of ADSL speeds) and little empathy towards customers.
So, well done Cheryl, but Telstra, I can fully understand why local businesses are moving away from your services in droves.
BONNIE CAPELL,
Grafton.

Source: The Daily Examiner

No comments: