Sunday 11 September 2011

Bills mounting, mayhem in the henhouse? No worries mate!


Arnold had been over on the bush blocks with the other cows for the last part of the winter so I have not seen him much.

Which meant that today was a real treat; he and I were out in front of the barn together.

He was munching a billet of hay and I was chewing on a filched straw, as we began discussing what had been going on while he was away.

The track in to the house had been resurfaced, through rain and vehicle traffic had badly cut-up those parts of the track that we did not have the money to tackle.

Then Tom, the most useless cattle dog ever born, had to go to the vet. I should explain to readers that Tom was a town dog who terrorized his owners so much they gave him away. He adjusted well to farm life but the only things he herds are kangaroos.

The neighbours think he is great since he moves all kangaroos hopping about their properties onto our place. This is one habit I have not been able to change so far.

During one of these roo musters he ran onto a piece of wood and staked himself. This resulted in a large and gaping wound under one of his front legs. More of the hard earned cash gone.

Then the chooks had their own Arab Spring; the two top roosters (brothers) would attack the younger roosters and terrorize the hens so much that egg production was falling. One of them even tried to attack me.

I was getting ready to give them the chop when they decided that they would both attack Harold the young Issa brown rooster, a quieter rooster I have never known.

Something in Harold must have snapped - the fight was monumental. When the feathers, dust and blood finally settled one of the brothers lay dead and the other was at the bottom of the pecking order.

It was poetic justice at its best. The hens are happy now, I’m happy egg numbers are up and Harold has reverted to his normal well-behaved self. Except when the surviving brother (now named Gaddafi) tries to pick on someone.

After Arnold and I had finished the hay and our talk I felt much better about life in general. So I thought how can I share the knowledge?

Answer - I’m going to have a T-shirt printed, with “Talk To A Cow” on the front and on the back “NULLUS ANXIETAS MATEUM”.

That should get the message out there.

Drawing from wordinfo

No comments: