Monday 6 April 2020

The times are not kind to the elderly living alone


The Daily Examiner, 3 April 2020:


Elderly Clarence residents without internet access and mobile phones have been left to fend for themselves, one Coutts Crossing resident claims.
“Lola”, 64, says elderly people have been forgotten as the community sets up systems to navigate enforced coronavirus disruptions.
Without internet or a mobile phone, Lola has found it difficult to access many services set up to help during the crisis.
A telling encounter was a call to a major supermarket to find out options for setting up a home delivery service.
“I don’t want to go shopping for food,” she said.
“I have medical reasons and they’re asking us to self-isolate.” Lola called the company’s helpline but found it less than helpful. “They put me on hold for so long the battery in my landline handset went flat,” she said.
“When it recharged I rang again and eventually I got a recorded message to email my request to the company.” Lola said she did not have family or friends in the region and had found going shopping a nightmare.
“There’s nothing on the shelves,” she said.....
“Last time I went shopping in Grafton I had to go to four different supermarkets and I still couldn’t find everything I needed.” The rules designed to discourage hoarders had not helped.
“I want to buy enough so I don’t have to go shopping again for at least two weeks,” she said.
“The two-pack limit is no help to me at all.” She has been less than impressed with other shoppers, who appear to pay no attention to social distancing rules.....
Even for the elderly with Internet connections life is increasingly difficult.
Coles does not home deliver to anyone except those already registered with NDIS, Red Kite or My Aged Care - in other words predominately people who already have home care packages or other forms of assistance.
Woolies doesn't deliver to the Lower Clarence but will supply by Australia Post an $80 basics box of mainly low nutrition/ high sugar & salt canned and packaged food of its own non-negotable choice and again, people have to already be registered with the same three agencies. Although proof of eligibility may be widening so it might be wise to contact customer service to check.

No comments: